Aphrodite

Monday, November 28, 2005

Rent - Day Two



Today I saw Rent... again, for day two, and this
time I took some notes on the
movie. This is what I got from it and was I thought:

Seasons of Love for the opening was such a beautiful
and inspiring. I remember when this same song was
sung by both Orono and Walton students and how
beautiful it was then too. It had tremendous energy
involved, and this was before I had even seen the
musical on Broadway, before the four day trip to New
York City, the Big Apple, the Hollywood of the East Coast.
That day we sung this song for the first time in large
group of people in front of an audience was at the Orono
Universalist Unitarian Church. We were shinnning brightly
that spring day.

I'd be willing to die for a taste of what Angel had.

"I'm a New Yorker! Fear's my life!"


"This is Calcutta, Bohemia is dead."

The beauty of the light from the burning eviction
notices rolling out of metal garbage cans as everyone
on Avenue A is standing on their apartment balconies.

"..And now our dreams can be reality.."

Mimi and the Cat Scratch Club.

"Will I lose my dignity? Will someone care?"

The poetic sight of Angel drumming on the bottom of a
plastic bucket with wooden drumsticks.

"There's only us, there's only this."

Alphabet City avant garde.

Roger singing "One Song Glory" on the rooftop of the
apartment building after getting back to New York City
from New Mexico on a coach bus. He kept thinking of Mimi.

Riot at Maureen's protest/performance.

"New York City.... Center of the Universe."

The scene at the cafe after Maureen's awareness protest
when the residents of Avenue A discover that Benny is in
the same cafe as they are, and sitting at a table right
beside their's. They dance on the tables and on top of the
bar, Collins erases part of the menu specials at writes in
caps "Fight AIDS", and singing at the top of their lungs.
The first time I saw the movie, on Saturday (11/26), I was
laughing through this whole particular scene because of the
hilarity of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home