Aphrodite

Monday, August 29, 2005

Languages and cultures

At the Langauge Cafe workshop one afternoon
I learned some Bahasa (spoken by Indonesians
and Malaysians): Nama saya Jennifer; Russian: privet!;
Nepali: namaste; and

some Finnish: Ma on kveekari.

Also, I worked on my Spanish with Benny and Zaidee
(from Cuba), and a few others that knew
English: little bits or complete fluency. I have the
leading to learn a few languages that are not
native to me.

I watched dances from countries all over the world:
French waltz, New Zealand war dance, a Russian dance,
Irish jigs and reels, Nepalese dance, African dance and
so many more.
That was the same day that I learned how to play a diguredo.

Ah, the power of what you can learn from other Quakers.

4 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Peterson Toscano said...

sounds amazing. I am so glad you went. Thank you for giving a clear accounting of your experience.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Sar San, Shaya:

As you like Irish music, being an Anglo Irish plain dressing Quaker... a small small game... ( very Quaker outcome... ) Guess the language with which I open and close the post and win a Sorcha Dorcha CD (me wee band... ) Second prize - if you get it wrong... a Sorcha Dorcha CD .... hmmmm
So...
Baxt hai sastimos,
Develssa
Lorcan

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

PS Hint... it is not Gaelic

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Lorcan said...

Good guesses ( on me blog, Latin and Irish...) really quite good, you win second prise a Sorcha Dorcha CD, and honorable mention etc... drop me the address for your meeting, and I will send it to you CO your meeting ( if you feel that is the most prudent way to get mail from meeting someone on line!) The CD has one of the several songs I wrote to Anna Curtis storries. Anna was a great light on my childhood. She was the granddaughter of an Underground Railroad conductor and a wonderful story teller.
The language is Romaness ("Gypsy") Sar San, or Sar my san - How are you, Shaya - daughter, Roma speak generationally all respected elders are Kako - uncle, proper younger Romani woman are Shaya, young men, Shav - son, Baxt - good fortune, hai sastimos, and well being, Devlessa, with God,

Is mise, le meas
(Gaelic - myself with good feelings)
Lorcan
Pax :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home